There are 2 main treatment methods for hair loss in men, and both can be combined:
- Surgical treatment by means of a hair transplant.
- Medical treatment by means of finasteride and/or minoxidil.
- Combined surgical and medical treatment.
- Hair transplant is the only effective method for treatment of complete hair loss (baldness) in men. Also, it is the sole effective treatment for receding hairline.
- FUE hair transplant is the current state of the art surgical technique of hair transplant.
- Finasteride (tablet) and Minoxidil (topical solution) are FDA-approved medical treatment agents for hair loss.
- Both protect the hair follicle against atrophy and may delay or slow down the process of hair thinning and loss. Some of the thin and short hairs may be transformed back into normal, healthy hairs. Hair density increases and patience’s appearance improves.
- Medical therapy can be used at the beginning stages of hair loss where local or generalized thinning begins. Complete hair loss in any given area can only be restored with a hair transplant.
- Finasteride is significantly more effective than minoxidil, it is the first choice in men.
- Minoxidil can be used as a sole agent for progressive thinning over the top-crown area.
- To achive the optimal benefit, combined finasteride and minoxidil therapy can be used.
Other medical treatments:
- Other medical treatments – ie; mezotherapy, laser comb, some medicines and herbals have no such proven effectiveness, their value is very contraversial.
Combined surgical and medical therapy of progressive alopecia:
- Because the hair loss may be progressive before the age 40, an effective combined therapy consists of surgical reconstruction my means of hair transplantation and coupled with simultaneous medical treatment.
Combined surgical and medical treatment of a Grade 7 hair loss. FUE transplant of 4100 grafts plus a 1 year Finasteride treatment. Final result of 1 year post operative.
Taking medications during hair transplant:
- Patients who are taking finasteride prior to the hair transplant can continue to do so without interruption during and after the operation.
- Minoxidil therapy should be temporarily discontinued about one week before the transplant and can be resumed after a full healing within a month.
FDA: U.S. Food and Drug Administration.